I have a severe case of stickittotheman…neosis.
The Man is like a boggart. It manifests in many forms of people’s worst fears.
Disclaimer: if you are reading this and don’t know what a boggart is, close out of this blog and go read Harry Potter. Seriously. Or else you’ll be confused while reading this. And your life will probably be a little less awesome, since you haven’t read my favorite series.
Anyway, the Man has now taken the form of college major departments. I’m feeling oppressed by this collegiate societal rule that you’re supposed to have your major already figured out. Who decided that, anyway? Does the Man have secretaries?
Figuring out what I want to major in isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I just can’t decide. As soon as I walk in one direction, I get stoked about another possible career path. I’ve been so busy walking around in proverbial circles that I’m missing out on the awesomeness of college. Totes over it. So, this semester is officially about sticking it to the Man.
What does that involve, you ask? I decided to make a plan of action.
1. Don’t let the Man put you on a time limit. I hate feeling rushed. I will take my sweet time figuring out what exactly I want to dedicate my life to. I mean it is kind of a big deal.
2. Don’t let the Man box you in. I have a lot of interests, and who says my major can’t reflect that? I want to explore the depths of the options that have been weighing in my mind and find out the best possible direction for me. I love that college gives me the chance to think outside of that box.
3. Don’t let the Man become your identity. Regardless of what I major in, I am still me. I still have the ability to pursue other interests, beyond my major. How boring would life be, if you were only defined as what you got a degree in? Extremely boring, that’s how much.
4. Befriend other people who also want to stick it to the Man. It’s always easier to revolt when you have the support of your friends. Also, boggarts are better defeated in numbers.
5. Most important of all: don’t let the Man take away your happiness. It’s riddikulus to stress this much over a major. College is a time of self exploration, so I’m going to do just that. Instead of stressing about all of this jazz, I’m going to be happy with my indecision. I’m learning to embrace the unknown, to explore what excites me, and to be content within all of the chaos that life brings.
Bonus soundtrack: because it’s important to have a playlist that both pumps you up and reaffirms how oppressive the Man is.
“Jump Around” - House of Pain
“Revolution” - The Beatles
“You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party” - Beastie Boys
“The Final Countdown” - Europe
“Go The Distance” - Hercules
“Be The Man” - Celine Dion
“Time For Me to Fly” - REO Speedwagon
“Go Your Own Way” - Fleetwood Mac
“I Never Loved A Man” - Aretha Franklin
“Don’t Stop Believing” - Journey
Please - Ray Lamontagne
Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles
Only Love - Ben Howard
D’artagnan’s Theme - Citizen Cope
Elevator - Hot Hot Heat
We - DeYarmond Edison
Vienna - The Fray
Burning Stars - Mimicking Birds
Comes And Goes - Greg Laswell
That Moon Song - Gregory Alan Isakov